Cape Verde, The Gambia, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Senegal
We are thankful for:
- the many ways in which these countries have moved beyond their colonial histories, especially the scars related to slave trade
- this area’s distinctive music and cultural practices of storytelling (griots)
- economic and educational advances that have lifted some out of poverty
- promising transitions into democracy and changes in government leaders
- the persistent, faithful witness of churches in the midst of other faiths.
We pray for:
- those people in these societies who continue to live in abject poverty
- an end to policies, systems, and cultural practices that continue to exploit and marginalize some groups
- the fair election of more just government leaders who respect the rights of all people
- faith communities witnessing and working together for the common good.